Let's Talk About: Imposter Syndrome

 

Photo by John Noonan on Unsplash

What is Imposter Syndrome?

You might have imposter syndrome if you find yourself consistently experiencing self-doubt, even in areas where you typically excel.

This could be despite the fact that you do have the requisite education and qualifications and got where you are through your own efforts. 


How do I know whether I have Imposter Syndrome?

If you wonder whether you might have imposter syndrome, ask yourself the following questions:
  • Do you agonize over even the smallest mistakes or flaws in your work?
  • Do you attribute your success to luck or outside factors?
  • Are you sensitive to even constructive criticism?
  • Do you feel like you will inevitably be found out as a phony?
  • Do you downplay your own expertise, even in areas where you are genuinely more skilled than others?
**
My Experience

So I experienced this syndrome when I got my first job, and was thrown into the foray. Despite having the requisite qualification and passing my interview, and being accepted on my own merit, I felt inadequate and inexperienced. 

This feeling got worst when I started doing what I was asked to do, and my work got corrected, again and again. Which to be fair, is to be expected, considering that I was new to what I was doing, and I was inexperienced with the know-how of the company and the industry. I also didn't know how to maneuver the different levels of hierarchy of a corporate company. 

Even though I got my own name card, and I was celebrated in my position, I felt like I didn't deserve to be in that position. I couldn't do my work independently and I always needed someone to vet my work before it could be sent out.

I felt small, and felt like I was an imposter. 

I was expected to carry out my job. But what was I actually doing every day? I wasn't sure I was qualified to do what I was paid to do. 

***
How do we overcome Imposter Syndrome?

It helps to start asking yourself some difficult questions, that you may not have considered before. Here are a few of them to start you off on your journey of reflection:
  • What core beliefs do I hold about myself?
  • Do I believe I am worthy of love as I am?
  • Must I be perfect for others to approve of me?
There are also a few other techniques you can use:
  • Share your feelings / struggles openly and transparently with someone that you trust to help bounce these thoughts around, or if you are able to, to see a counselor / therapist to process your thoughts about this. 
  • Question your negative thoughts about yourself and your capabilities. Are they well-founded? or are they just based on what someone has said to you previously or something you have said to yourself over and over again but has no basis?
  • Assess your abilities in an objective manner. Write down your accomplishments and what you are good at, then compare these with your self-assessment. It might help to ask a trusted friend or family to let you know what your weaknesses are, and how you can improve on them.
  • Take baby steps. Don't focus on doing things perfectly, but rather, do things reasonably well and reward yourself for taking action. 
  • Stop comparing. At the same time, use social media moderately. We know that the social media is heavily linked to feelings of inferiority and comparison that may discourage you further.
****
Epilogue

After much struggle, I soon found my footing in my workplace and manage to overcome my Imposter Syndrome a little by little. I gained experience, slowly but surely, and I redid my work, until it fulfilled the standard that I was expected to, and my work got the approval after being vetted through. Slowly I gained more independence in my work, and it was much more bearable after that. I also journeyed with many others who were in the same boat as I was, and we all went through that tough times together, supporting each other, and being each other's sounding board.

If you're struggling with Imposter Syndrome, there is hope for you too.

There is a way out.

*****
References:

1. 2024, Very Well Mind. https://www.verywellmind.com/imposter-syndrome-and-social-anxiety-disorder-4156469 



Comments

Popular Posts